[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:18:27 +1100

[Trent]
> > ...Or anybody installing ActivePython for that matter. We
> > give instructions that the latest version of Tcl/Tk has to
> > be installed separately, but Tk is *not* bundled with it.

[Guido]
> And that's a shame.  Any chance that will be fixed any time soon?

Not presuming to speak for anyone, least of all the ActivePython product
manager :-)

I don't think it will be "fixed", as it is not considered "broken".  It was
an explicit choice to leave out Tcl/Tk.  And my recollection is that the
"feedback" address sees more requests for wxPython than Tcl/Tk.

We make it pretty clear Tcl/Tk is not included - I assume that everyone who
cares about that simply uses BeOpen releases or source tarballs.

[When I say "wont be fixed", I mean it is unlikely to appear in the core
ActivePython release.  It almost certainly will be supported as an add-on,
whatever that turns out to mean exactly ;-]

Mark.