[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:01:25 -0400

Greg Wilson:
> > > 2. (Lack of) native look and feel.  This is a complete show-stopper for
> > >    many of the outfits I've dealt with (and not just with Python).
>
> > Guido van Rossum:
> > Really?  Are you sure that's not just general resistence against new things?
>
> Well, my students' resistance to novelty is low enough that they're willing to
> take a Python course :-).  This comes up every time I teach; no idea whether it
> has any impact on the usability of completed applications, but I believe it
> makes people less likely to choose Tkinter when starting development.

As I see it, Tk, like SQL, has the property that it's dead easy
to get something crappy running, but it takes a real expert
(like /F) to make it good. With wxPython, though, it's easy (if
somewhat tedious) to get something good - at least as far as
normal "forms" style GUIs.

I'm not taking sides - I dabble in both and will never be an
expert at either. But for clients using Windows, I use
wxPython because it's indistinguishable from native Win32.

(BTW, MFC is lagging further and further behind native Win32 -
 I believe MS considers it "legacy".)

- Gordon