[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:15:03 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>:
> There are other choices too, all of which have Python support already:
> gtk, qt, and the Mozilla toolkit (whose name I forget -- maybe David
> Ascher can fill me in).

I'm glad you brought up GTK+.  Of all the alternatives you mentioned,
it seems to me the most likely to attract long-term cross-platform
support by lots of developers (GNOME, Nautilus and Sun Microsystems
seem like a tough trio to beat on this score).  Thus, GTK+ may be be
the safest alternative in terms of being least likely to strand us N
years down the road.

The GTK+ API seems like a nice clean design, and there is already a Python
binding.  Any comment from anybody on how stable it is?  Are the text and
canvas widgets anywhere near competitive with Tk's?  There are hints
of a wxWindows-based port to Windows on the GTK+ site; is there a Mac port?

.. a government and its agents are under no general duty to
provide public services, such as police protection, to any
particular individual citizen...
        -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)