[Python-Dev] Re: [XML-SIG] PyXML home page on SF

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:26:31 -0500

> Hum, maybe I did not explain myself correctly and I don't want a
> misunderstanding: I never meant "let's create a SourceForge-like tool,
> SourceForge is bad", but only "why not host a python specific service
> using the SourceForge code and tools", as www.bioinformatics.org does for
> projects related to bio-ingeneering.

Why not indeed?  Why spend time running a service that SourceForge is
already providing, and very well at that?  This has come up
occasionally at BeOpen but the only argument for it that was ever
brought up (by the marketing folks, of course :-) was the hope that it
would help sell banner ads -- not that there would be an advantage for
the community.

What would be the advantage for the community or running our own?
What's wrong with using SourceForge?  I say, if it ain't broke don't
fix it.  (And then again, there may be a very good reason to run our
own, and maybe I just don't see it. :-)