[Python-Dev] Python 2.0b2 note for Windows developers

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 10:53:03 +1100

[Tim]
> the files where you want them after unpacking.  What I upload
> will be an exact image of the build directory structure.  Most
> feedback I've gotten is that people want exactly that,
> because they *want* to compile Python

[Barry]
> I'd not thought of that.

My either.  I must admit mild surprise at that.  If people want the debug
files in the same tree as the build tree, it seems all they are trying to
do is avoid the initial huge build.  If they intend compiling, why are they
asking for the binaries?

My experience with people wanting debug binaries is that they either don't
want to, or can not build.  When people need debug binaries, they go one of
2 routes - try and find pre-built debugs, or build them themselves.  I
can't see when people ever do both.

For the last year or so, I have been making Debug builds of win32all
available to registered users.  This has always been made available in the
"install" structure - quite a bit different than the source/build
structure.  I've never been asked for anything different.

Just-FWIW ly,

Mark.