[Python-Dev] can't build with threads on OSF/1

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:34:36 +0200

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 10:18:23AM -0500, Charles G Waldman wrote:

> Sorry, I don't have time to investigate this fully right now.  Maybe
> this weekend.  For now this is just a heads-up.  Hopefully, something
> is just misconfigured on this system.

> The machine in question is running OSF1 V4.0 878 alpha

That's a former DEC alpha, right ? Perhaps running configure with
'--with-dec-threads' will solve the problem ? I'm not sure if that will work
alone, so you might need '--with-dec-threads --with-threads=no' to disable
'normal' thread-checking.

You can also try this by hand; after running configure, edit
Modules/Makefile.pre, and change

LDLAST=

into

LDLAST= -threads

(not -lthreads, just -threads) That seems to be the only difference
--with-dec-threads uses.

I looked at this before, but don't have an alpha or anything else that needs
--with-dec-threads, so I couldn't detect this automatically. I do think it
should be done automatically, though. Perhaps I can figure it if you can
send me, for instance, config.log and the output of configure, and find the
time to run a few tests later.

> I can only build Python from current CVS sources on OSF/1 if I specify
> --without-thread.   If I don't specify this I get the following errors
> at link time:

> Unresolved:
> __pthread_mutex_init

> I tried sending a message with the output of ./configure and make
> attached, but it was over the 40K limit.  If anybody wants to see
> these, email me.

If the above doesn't fix it, I can take a look at the output of configure
and config.log. No need to see the output of make just yet.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>