[Python-Dev] Re: getopt() prototype [was: checkin-message of something or other]

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:18:01 +0200

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 05:38:13PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Thomas Wouters, on getopt]
> > From what I read in the getopt(3) manpage on my linux box the
> > prototype mixup comes from a POSIX.2 flaw, but I'm not sure.)
>
> I bet it's actually talking about Interpretation 150 to POSIX.2, here (while
> you can't read the std online, you can read the complaints online!):

> http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/interp/1003-2-92_int/pasc-1003.2-150.
> html

> Doesn't have anything to do with the prototype, alas.

Ah, that sounds about right. Nifty link, too. I thought it had something to
do with the prototype because of this comment:

CONFORMING TO
       getopt():
              POSIX.2,    provided   the   environment   variable
              POSIXLY_CORRECT is set.  Otherwise, the elements of
              argv  aren't really const, because we permute them.
              We pretend they're const in  the  prototype  to  be
              compatible with other systems.

> I have a different suggestion:  screw it.  getopt keeps creating problems on
> GNUish systems too, because without the POSIXLY_CORRECT envar set, the GNU
> getopt shuffles all the "option strings" to the front, making a mess of
  [ a lot of things ]

Ahh, yes, I see Python/getopt.c and the autoconf check that enables it when
necessary. Funny, I've seen that file a number of times, and read it, and
read the getopt autoconf test as well, but somehow I never connected it with
the loose prototype in main.c. I'm +1 on doing what you suggested, then.

Wonder why it hasn't been done yet, though... we have no use for a
system-wide getopt, except for a slightly smaller binary on systems that do
have a 'good' system getopt. We can't use enhancements made to system getopt
or anything, anyway.

> they've-had-21-years-to-straighten-out-"the-std"-getopt-and-they-blew-it-
>     ly y'rs  - tim

what-do-you-want-to-bet-it's-going-to-take-longer-for-Python-getopt-modules-
	ly y'rs,

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>