[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Python ceval.c,2.207,2.208

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:06:56 -0400 (EDT)

  [Moshe:]
  >> > The problem with letting Python code cause fatal errors is that
  >> > it makes restricted execution much more difficult. Well,
  >> > something to think about for 2.1...

  [Guido:]
  >> Huh?  In restricted execution you shouldn't be allowed to mess
  >> with bytecode!

  TW> Well, I can see what Moshe means. You get a code object passed
  TW> in, say, an untrusted pickle or some such. You want to execute
  TW> it, but you don't want it to ruin your life. Causing the entire
  TW> program to quit could be considered 'ruining'. On the other
  TW> hand, if you can hand-tweak bytecode streams in that degree, you
  TW> can f** up a lot more.

Damn straight!  If you're using restricted execution mode and
accepting bytecode objects that weren't produced by a trusted Python
compiler, you're nuts.  I am not aware of any effort made to protect
the Python VM from attack via malicious bytecode.

  TW> Now I just need an OK from Jeremy, as the maitre d', and I'll
  TW> check it in.

Your table is ready.  A checkin message will be accepted as gratuity.

Jeremy