[Python-Dev] -Wall output for the Python 2.0c1

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:49:37 +0200

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 05:13:47PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > ceval.c: In function `eval_code2':
>  > ceval.c:345: warning: `v' might be used uninitialized in this function
>  > ceval.c:346: warning: `w' might be used uninitialized in this function
>  > ceval.c:347: warning: `u' might be used uninitialized in this function
>  > ceval.c:348: warning: `t' might be used uninitialized in this function

>   These would be a real tedium to fix, and I'm not convinced the loss
> of clarity is worth it.  From looking at the code in the DUP_TOPX
> code, I'm led to think that the compiler just isn't smart enough (it
> should figure out that oparg won't change before the second case
> statement, and figure it out more carefully.  I'll bet *that* would
> remove these warnings and still right in all cases.

Well, I'm certain I compiled my code (which included DUP_TOPX) with -Wall
sometime before, and I didn't get those warnings then. Probably depends on
the version of gcc. As a colleague of mine would say, "insert clue" (into
gcc, that is ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>