[Python-Dev] linuxaudiodev module

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:13:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> After reading the module and the OSS guide, it is clear to me that we
> need a complete re-write.  The module itself is just a wrapper around
> a bunch of read, write, and ioctl calls.  It could all be implemented
> in pure Python.

True.  I think your osslib is a good idea.  I wanted to take on this
sort of project myself a few weeks ago but never had the time to really
get started.  From playing with the test script, i think all we care
about having in C is audioop (and that's just for ulaw conversion).
I would like to fix audioop so we can expect it to be present as a
standard module; then we can have a module written in Python that
provides uniform sound support for all platforms.

> On my machine it still sounds awful, but at least the
> sound can be heard.

It should not sound awful.  If it sounds too loud and scratchy, then
maybe you need to use audioop to convert from Sun .au (ulaw) to raw
samples first.  This was the case with the Spanish inquisition clip.

-- ?!ng