[Python-Dev] Re: CVS: python/dist/src/Lib cgi.py,1.53,1.54

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:49:23 -0400 (EDT)

    KY> The $PATH variable for CGI scripts may be minimal, but minimal
    KY> as it is, Python should still be on it.

Well, maybe. :) E.g. Mailman's cgi wrapper program explicitly removes
$PATH from the environment before calling python with a compiled in
absolute path.

Which leads me to ask: how often are you calling cgi.py directly
anyway?  That'll just run the text() function which isn't terribly
useful other than to debug your cgi setup.  Usually you're calling
some other module that imports cgi, and in that case this line won't
have any effect.  And besides, it's not very safe to call a script
directly so I'd recommend a wrapper program anyway.

I'd say this one is rather harmless.

-Barry