[Python-Dev] Release candidate followed by feature freeze?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:36:49 +0200

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> > I'd like to poll opinions about this (we haven't had a PythonLabs
> > group meeting about this yet).
>
> YES! I was hoping somebody would propose such a thing; I was quite
> concerned that check-in procedures are still that liberate.
>
> To report how similar projects operate: In gcc, a CVS release branch
> is created at some point in time (usually months before the
> release). When the code is declared frozen, all changes to the release
> branch have to go through the release manager. After the release,
> "important" changes to the mainline branch are manually propagated to
> the release branch for subminor releases.

+1

I think this is very good approach to the problem which we should
consider to apply to Python too.

BTW, could the nightly snapshots of the CVS tree that Jeremy
installed be made official ?

This would be a great way to attract more beta-tester since not
everyone is willing to first set CVS on their machine just
to download the current Python development version.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg