[Python-Dev] PEP 229 and 222

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:14:39 -0500

On 28 November 2000, Andrew Kuchling said:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 06:01:38PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >- Always shared libs.  What about Unixish systems that don't have
> >  shared libs?  What if you just want something to be hardcoded as
> >  statically linked, e.g. for security reasons?  (On the other hand
>
> Beats me.  I'm not even sure if the Distutils offers a way to compile
> a static Python binary.  (GPW: well, does it?)

It's in the CCompiler interface, but hasn't been exposed to the outside
world.  (IOW, it's mainly a question of desiging the right setup
script/command line interface: the implementation should be fairly
straightforward, assuming the existing CCompiler classes do the right
thing for generating binary executables.)

        Greg