[Python-Dev] {}.first[key,value,item] and {}.pop (was Re: {}.getitem())

Greg Wilson gvwilson@nevex.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:21:24 -0500

> Barry Warsaw wrote:
> {}.pop() sounds like the right thing given its symmetry with [].pop().
> [details]

Should we then add dict.push(), which would add a key/value pair to the
dictionary?  I realize it's redundant (same effect as 'dict[x] = y'),
but I think anyone who's gone through a CS course in data structures
and algorithms will expect push() where there's pop(), and it will allow
functions to be polymorphic over lists and dicts.

Greg (who's not lobbying for it, just wondering if it's a loose end)