[Python-Dev] A house upon the sand

Michael Hudson mwh21@cam.ac.uk
26 Nov 2000 23:22:15 +0000

"Tim Peters" <tim.one@home.com> writes:

> On the deprecation of the string module:  where did this idea come from?
> I've never seen anything saying that the string module is deprecated.

I thought this, and went looking.  I found on
http://www.python.org/1.6/, about four fifths of the way down:

Changed Modules

    string - most of this module is deprecated now that strings have
    methods. This no longer uses the built-in strop module, but takes
    advantage of the new string methods to provide transparent support
    for both Unicode and ordinary strings.

I hope (and believe) this is Wrong.

http://www.python.org/2.0/new-python.html says:

    The old string module is still around for backwards compatibility,
    but it mostly acts as a front-end to the new string methods.

which is IMHO better.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Every day I send overnight packages filled with rabid weasels to
  people who use frames for no good reason.