[Python-Dev] PEP Process Inefficient?

Moshe Zadka moshez@zadka.site.co.il
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:33:27 +0200

The PEP process, while *miles* better then anything I've seen in any
other development process I've ever seen, has some deficiencies.
I'll try to point them out, and to suggest some partial solution:

1. Users are not sure who to post PEP questions/remarks to: Python dev?
   the original author? The Python devver they know best?
2. It is the responsiblity of the PEP author to add open questions/pertinent
   remarks to the PEP.
3. Mail about the PEP which contains important discussion is lost.

Proposal: (still some shaky areas though):

Why not use Squishdot for PEPs? The PEP would be the "article", and
remarks could be comments. I think (but I'm not sure) Squishdot
has the ability to edit/moderate comments, and retroactively change the
article. If not, then my second best hope is some kind of Wiki system,
with self imposed article/comments-like structure.

Immediate problem I'm trying to solve: PEP 228, the numeric model PEP,
has inspired a lot of discussion, and very interesting comments. However
for someone who doesn't remember all the e-mails by heart, wading through
the archives is much too time consuming. In addition, personal mail sent to
me is not available for public discussion.

Problems with proposed solution: no e-mail notification. I think Zwiki
does have an option for e-mail notification, though. Don't know about
Squishdot.

--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.