[Python-Dev] Starship, Python.org, etc.

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:13:42 +0100

Hi,

sorry to bother you again with this, but the current state
of Python's community elements is in such a bad shape, that
I'm getting more and more frustrated...

First, starship is taken off the net due to a mailing problem.
After a few days starship resurfaces: but apparently using
some really old backup which didn't even contain all files
-- at least the .ssh dirs seem to be lost causing RSA logins
using SSH to fail (don't know about normal logins -- my old
passwords don't work anymore either, but that could have been
caused by the harddisk crash earlier this year).

As consequence, I moved all my Python Pages to a new site
which should provide more stability. Next, I tried to get this
message across to the comp.lang.python.* crowd: I posted
messages to the python.org mailing lists which should have
been gatewayed to the newsgroups -- nothing happened. The
messages seem to be stuck somewhere half-way across the
Atlantic.

The result: even though I tried to do some good, by moving my
site, noone will notice and I still get complaints about
my extensions not working with 2.0 -- the announcement about
the new versions *did* make it to comp.lang.python and the
announcement list: but it still had the starship URL on it,
so now people find the announcement and there's no way
to point them to the new URL (I can't login to starship to
post a notice there...).

Help someone, please.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg