[Python-Dev] [Python-Help] Driver?????

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 22:11:00 +0100 (MET)

> My name is Kelli Collins, and I work for the Data Management Team at
> IBM.  I am currently working with a customer that is considering
> using DB2 as their database software, and has asked me to see if I
> can locate a driver for Python and DB2...... can you tell if one
> exists??????

Hi Kelli,

I believe there is actually more than one way to get a database module
for Python and DB2. Please have a look at the DB SIG pages, at

  http://www.python.org/topics/database/

You'll see a DB/2 module being maintained at

  ftp://people.linuxkorea.co.kr/pub/DB2/

In addition, since DB2 offers the CLI, and an ODBC driver, you can
also use the ODBC module. For that, you have two options again: on
Windows, you can use the ODBC module that is in PythonWin. On all
systems, you can use mxODBC (make sure the licensing is acceptable,
though).

In any case, all of these comply with the DB API, so application code
should port easily among these options. I guess the difference then is
ease-of-installation, performance, and access to advanced features;
since I don't use DB2 myself, I can't recommend a particular choice.

Good luck,
Martin