[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src configure.in,1.178,1.179 config.h.in,2.78,2.79

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@effbot.org
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:00:59 +0100

I wrote:

> > Remove AC_C_INLINE test from configure.in, since the only place the symbol
> > occurs in the Python sources appears to be as text in comments.  We do not
> > want to interfere with C++ keywords!
>
> did you benchmark SRE before and after this change?

following up on myself: SRE uses inline only if USE_INLINE is enabled,
and it's appears to be disabled in the 2.0 code base, for all platforms
except Windows (don't recall doing this; maybe someone else thought
that 10-20% performance hit was good enough?).  and now that Fred
has removed portable inline support, I cannot switch it on again :-(

besides, do people really expect to be able to use one compiler when
running configure, and another to compile Python?  sounds like they're
asking for it...

</F>