[Python-Dev] Re: python-gdk-imlib and Delinquent Maintainers

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:49:12 -0800

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:37:01AM +0200, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2000, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> > There has been a problem in Debian's python-gdk-imlib package for
> > quite some time: Transparent PNGs do not display properly (see
> > attached example script). According to upstream
> > (http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2000-September/000336.html),
> > the proper solution is either to have Python use RTLD_GLOBAL in
> > dlopen calls when loading extension modules,
>
> Or, possible, using dlmodule to dlopen things ourselves rather then
> using Python's import facilities for that.

There was quite a long conversation [on python-dev] a while back (geez, a
year ago? more?) about RTLD_GLOBAL and whether Python should use it. There
were pros and cons for both directions, and I believe some compatibility
issues.

You may be able to find the conversation, then figure out why Python chose
its current mechanism. Heck... maybe it should change :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/