[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src configure.in,1.177,1.178 configure,1.169,1.170

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:26:21 +0100

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 07:44:24AM -0800, Greg Ward wrote:

>   - when compiling with GCC on any platform, add "-fPIC" to OPT
>     (without this, "$(CC) -shared" dies horribly)

Sorry for the late remark (I did see your earlier message) but after reading
the patch I realized 'OPT' isn't the right place for this. 'OPT' should be
for non-essential stuff: warnings, debug-info and optimizations. Removing
things from OPT shouldn't break anything, and neither should adding options
that fit in the categories above. (Barring broken compilers, of course.)

Instead, the -fPIC option should be added to CFLAGS, I think. The Python
autoconf setup is slightly less versatile than most, though, since it's
doggone hard to near impossible to change things like OPT, CC, CFLAGS, etc,
without editing configure(.in) :P If noone else does it before me, I'll see
about fixing at least the -fPIC thing later, when I find some time ;P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>