[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:59:03 +1100

Andrew Kuchling:

> I believe the GNOME (not GTk's, but GNOME's) canvas widget began as a
> fork of the Tk widget that was then substantially enhanced to be a
> general-purpose display engine, with antialiasing, alpha compositing,
> more attention to performance, and other fancy features.  I don't know
> if the corresponding text widget (which is Pango, www.pango.org, I
> think) is equally featureful.

   There is a port of the Tk text widget to GTK+ by Havoc Pennington which
doesn't require Pango. Its aims are a little muddled as a high quality Pango
based text widget is also under long term development.

   Pango isn't just a text widget but a layered set of capabilities allowing
development of internationalised layout and rendering (the equivalent of
Microsoft's Uniscribe). Scintilla for GTK+ will use Pango to implement
Unicode once Pango is released.

   Neil