[Python-Dev] Re: Dynamic nested scopes

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:14:24 -0800

Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@alum.mit.edu>:
> There are few languages that use dynamic scoping for normal name
> resolution.  Many early Lisp implementations did, but I think all the
> modern ones use lexical scoping instead.  It is hard to write modular
> code using dynamic scope, because the behavior of a function with free
> variables can not be determined by the module that defines it.

Correct.  Based on my LISP experience, I would be strongly opposed to
dymamic scoping.  That path has been tried and found wanting.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.  Suspect every one
who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force.  Whenever you give up that force, you are
inevitably ruined."
	-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788