[Python-Dev] statically nested scopes

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:16:41 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   GS> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
>   >> This is a tool problem, and should be solved with good tools.  Of
>   >> course, installing the corret tools in people's minds will
>   >> require some technological discoveries.
>
>   GS> Bleck. Those tools are a crutch to deal with a poor language
>   GS> design / feature. And are those tools portable? Are they part of
>   GS> everybody's standard tool set? Will vi, emacs, and MS DevStudio
>   GS> all have those capabilities?
>
> Are you saying that compilers are a crutch and we should get rid of
> them?  I don't think you intend that, but this is a completely
> straightforward tool to build.  It is needed only for backwards
> compatibility -- to identify scripts that depend on the changed
> behavior.  There is no need for vi, emacs, or devstudio to understand
> what's going on.

you guys are talking about different things.
Jeremy is talking about a tool to warn against incompatible changes
Greg is talking about a tool to identify, for each variable, what scope
it belongs to.

as-usual-the-answer-is-"you're-both-right"-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez