[Python-Dev] repr vs. str and locales again

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Fri, 19 May 2000 11:51:23 -0700 (PDT)

    GW> Locale sensitivity strikes me as the sort of thing that *can*
    GW> be a "creeping" change -- just fix the bits that bug people
    GW> most, and eventually all the important bits will be fixed.

Another decidedly ignorant Anglophone here, but one problem that I see
with localizing stuff is that locale is app- (or at least thread-)
global, isn't it?  That would suck for applications like Mailman which
are (going to be) multilingual in the sense that a single instance of
the application will serve up documents in many languages, as opposed
to serving up documents in just one of a choice of languages.

If it seems I don't know what I'm talking about, you're probably
right.  I just wanted to point out that there are applications have to
deal with many languages at the same time.

-Barry