[Python-Dev] OOps (was: No 1.6! (was Re: A REALLY COOL PYTHON FEATURE:))

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Tue, 16 May 2000 21:43:33 +0200

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Christian> While I have to say that
>
>     >>>> " ".join("123")
>     Christian> '1 2 3'
>     >>>>

>     Christian> is not a feature to me but just annoying ;-)
>
> More annoying than
>
>     >>> import string
>     >>> string.join("123")
>     '1 2 3'
>
> ? ;-)

You are right. Equally bad, just in different flavor.
*gulp* this is going to be a can of worms since...

> a-sequence-is-a-sequence-ly y'rs,

Then a string should better not be a sequence.

The number of places where I really used the string sequence
protocol to take advantage of it is outperfomed by a factor
of ten by cases where I missed to tupleise and got a bad
result. A traceback is better than a sequence here.

oh-what-did-I-say-here--duck--but-isn't-it-so--cover-ly y'rs - chris

p.s.: the Spanish Inquisition can't get me since I'm in Russia
until Sunday - omsk

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>