[Python-Dev] Re: No 1.6! (was Re: A REALLY COOL PYTHON FEATURE:)

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Sat, 13 May 2000 16:54:09 -0400

Christian wrote:

> The split/join issue is really on the edge where I begin to not
> like it. It is clear that the join method *must* be performed as
> a method of the joining character, since the method expects a
> list as its argument.

We've been through this a number of times on c.l.py.

"What is this trash - I want list.join(sep)!"

After some head banging (often quite violent - ie, 4 or 5
exchanges), they get that list.join(sep) sucks. But they still
swear they'll never use sep.join(list).

So you end up saying "Well, string.join still works".

We'll need a pre-emptive FAQ entry with the link bound to a
key stroke. Or a big increase in the PSU budget...

- Gordon