[Python-Dev] Landmark

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 23:25:02 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> [Gordon]
> > [MAL]
> > [GvR]
> > > I don't see a need for a new strategy
> >
> > I'll argue for (a choice of) new strategy.
>
> I'm not keen on changing the meaning of PYTHONPATH, but if you're
> willing and able to set an environment variable, you can set
> PYTHONHOME and it will abandon the search.  If you want a command line
> option for CGI, an option to set PYTHONHOME makes sense.

The routines will still look for the landmark though (which
is what surprised me and made me look deeper -- setting
PYTHONHOME didn't work for me because I had only .pyo files
in the lib/python1.5 dir).

Perhaps Python should put more trust into the setting of
PYTHONHOME ?!

[An of course the landmark should change to something like
 os.py -- I'll try to submit a patch for this.]

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg