[Python-Dev] At the interactive port

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 1 May 2000 10:04:08 -0400 (EDT)

Moshe Zadka writes:
 > 1. I'm not sure what to call this function. Currently, I call it
 > __print_expr__, but I'm not sure it's a good name

  It's not.  ;)  How about printresult?
  Another thing to think about is interface; formatting a result and
"printing" it may be different, and you may want to overload them
separately in an environment like IDLE.  Some people may want to just
say:

	import sys
	sys.formatresult = str

  I'm inclined to think that level of control may be better left to
the application; if one hook is provided as you've described, the
application can build different layers as appropriate.

 > 2. I haven't yet supplied a default in __builtin__, so the user *must*
 > override this. This is unacceptable, of course.

  You're right!  But a default is easy enough to add.  I'd put it in
sys instead of __builtin__ though.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>