[Python-Dev] Re: Python 1.6 alpha 1 released

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn@roguewave.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:02:07 -0700

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I've just released a source tarball and a Windows installer for Python
> 1.6 alpha 1 to the Python website:
>
>   http://www.python.org/1.6/
>
> Probably the biggest news (if you hadn't heard the rumors) is Unicode
> support.  More news on the above webpage.
>
> Note: this is an alpha release.  Some of the code is very rough!
> Please give it a try with your favorite Python application, but don't
> trust it for production use yet.  I plan to release several more alpha
> and beta releases over the next two months, culminating in an 1.6
> final release around June first.
>
> We need your help to make the final 1.6 release as robust as possible
> -- please test this alpha release!!!

Just read the announcement page, and found that socket.connect() no
longer takes two arguments as was previously documented.  If this change
is staying I'm assuming the examples in the manual that uses a two
argument socket.connect() will be changed?

A quick look shows that this breaks all the network scripts I have
installed (at least the ones that I found, undoubtedly there are many
more).  Because of this I will put any upgrade plans on hold.

-- bjorn