[Python-Dev] Distutils for the std. library (was: Expat module)

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:25:11 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Greg Ward wrote:

> Gee, I didn't think anyone was gonna open *that* can of worms for 1.6.

Well, it's not like it's not a lot of work, but it could be done, with
liberal interpretation of "mini": include in "mini" Python *all* modules
which do not rely on libraries not distributed with the Python core --
zlib, expat and Tkinter go right out the window, but most everything
else can stay. That way, Distutils can use all modules it currently
uses <wink>.

The other problem, file-location, is a problem I have talked about
earlier: it *cannot* be assumed that the default place for putting new
libraries is the same place the Python interpreter resides, for many
reasons. Why not ask the user explicitly?

--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html