Indentation of Python interpreter C source (was Re: [Python-Dev] Re: [Python-chec....)

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:11:50 +1000

>    Rationale: The whole idea behind indentation is to
> clearly define where
>    a block of control starts and ends.  Especially when

Ironically, this statement is a strong argument for insisting on
Python using real tab characters!  "Clearly define" is upgraded to
"used to define".

>    80-character terminal screen.  The answer to that is
> that if you need
>    more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed
> anyway, and should fix
>    your program.

Yeah, right!

int foo()
{
	// one level for the privilege of being here.
	switch (bar) {
		// uh oh - running out of room...
		case WTF:
			// Oh no - if I use an "if" statement,
			// my code is "screwed"??
	}

}

> disliking-yet-another-white-space-discussion-ly y'rs  - peter

Like-death-and-taxes-ly y'rs - Mark.