[Python-Dev] SRE: what to do with undocumented attributes?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:40:16 -0500 (EST)

Fredrik Lundh writes:
>RegexObjects:
>    code -- a PCRE code object
>    pattern -- the source pattern
>    groupindex -- maps group names to group indices

pattern and groupindex are documented in the Library Reference, and
they're part of the public interface.  .code is not, so you can drop
it.

>MatchObjects:
>    regs -- same as match.span()?
>    groupindex -- as above
>    re -- the pattern object used for this match
>    string -- the target string used for this match

.re and .string are documented. I don't see a reference to
MatchObject.groupindex anywhere, and .regs isn't documented, so those
two can be ignored; xmllib or whatever external modules use them are
being very naughty, so go ahead and break them.

Imagine a thousand thousand fireflies of every shape and color; Oh, that was
Baghdad at night in those days.
  -- From SANDMAN #50: "Ramadan"