[Python-Dev] Unicode compile

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:22:08 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > I don't know how much memory other people have in their machiens, but
> > in this machine (128Mb), I get the following trying to compile a CVS
> > checkout of Python:
> >
> > gcc  -g -O2 -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./unicodedatabase.c
> > ./unicodedatabase.c:53482: virtual memory exhausted
> >
> > I hope that this is a temporary thing, or we ship the database some
> > other manner, but I would argue that you should be able to compile
> > Python on a machine with 32Mb of RAM at MOST.... for an idea of how
> > much VM this machine has, i have 256Mb of SWAP on top of it.
>
> I'm not sure how to fix this, short of reading the main database from
> a file.  Marc-Andre?

Hmm, the file compiles fine on my 64MB Linux machine with about 100MB
of swap. What gcc version do you use ?

Anyway, once Christian is ready with his compact
replacement I think we no longer have to worry about that
chunk of static data :-)

Reading in the data from a file is not a very good solution,
because it would override the OS optimizations for static
data in object files (like e.g. swapping in only those pages
which are really needed, etc.).

An alternative solution would be breaking the large
table into several smaller ones and accessing it via
a redirection function.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg