[Python-Dev] NIST Registry (was Great Renaming? What is the goal?)

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:49:24 +0200 (MEST)

Hi!

Guido van Rossum:
> I think the NIST registry is a failed experiment -- too cumbersome to
> maintain or consult.

The WEB frontend of the NIST registry is not that bad --- if you are
even aware of the fact, that such a beast exists!

I use Python since 1994 and discovered the NIST registry incidental
a few weeks ago, when I was really looking for something about the
Win32 registry and used the search engine on www.python.org.
My first thought was: What a neat clever idea!

I think this is an example how the Python community suffers from
poor advertising of good ideas.

> We can do this the same way as common law
> handles trade marks: if you have used it as your brand name long
> enough, even if you didn't register, someone else cannot grab it away
> from you.

Okay.  But a more formal registry wouldn't hurt.  Something like the
global module index from the current docs supplemented with all
contribution modules which can be currently found a www.vex.net would
be a useful resource.

Regards, Peter