[Python-Dev] mmapfile module

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:06:09 -0800

> The issue there is cross-platform compatibility; the Windows and Unix
> versions take completely different constructor arguments, so how
> should we paper over the differences?
>
> Unix arguments: (file descriptor, size, flags, protection)
> Win32 arguments:(filename, tagname, size)
>
> We could just say, "OK, the args are completely different between
> Win32 and Unix, despite it being the same function name".  Maybe
> that's best, because there seems no way to reconcile those two
> different sets of arguments.

I guess my approach would be to provide two platform-specific modules, and
to figure out a high-level Python module which could provide a reasonable
platform-independent interface on top of it.  One problem with that approach
is that I think that there is also great value in having a portable mmap
interface in the C layer, where i see lots of possible uses in extension
modules (much like the threads API).

--david