[Python-Dev] mmapfile module

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:51:29 -0500 (EST)

David Ascher writes:
>> Anything else that needs to go into 1.6 and isn't ready yet?
>No one seems to have found time to figure out the mmap module support.

The issue there is cross-platform compatibility; the Windows and Unix
versions take completely different constructor arguments, so how
should we paper over the differences?

Unix arguments: (file descriptor, size, flags, protection)
Win32 arguments:(filename, tagname, size)

We could just say, "OK, the args are completely different between
Win32 and Unix, despite it being the same function name".  Maybe
that's best, because there seems no way to reconcile those two
different sets of arguments.

I'm here for the FBI, not the _Weekly World News_.
  -- Scully in X-FILES #1