[Python-Dev] Great Renaming - Straw Man 0.2

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:36:59 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Responding to an early item in this thread and trying to adapt to later
> items...
>
> Ping wrote:
>
>     I'm not convinced "mime" needs a separate branch here.  (This is the
>     deepest part of the tree, and at three levels small alarm bells went off
>     in my head.)
>
> It's not clear that mime should be beneath text/mail.  Moshe moved it up a
> level,

Actually, Ping moved it up a level. I only decided to agree with him
retroactively...

> I think the mime stuff still
> belongs in a separate mime package.  I wouldn't just sprinkle the modules
> under text.  I see two possibilities:
>
>     text>mime
>     net>mime
>
> I prefer net>mime,

I don't. MIME is not a "wire protocol" like all the other things in net --
it's used inside another wire protocol, like RFC822 or HTTP. If at all,
I'd go for having a
net/
	mail/
		mime/
Package, but Ping would yell at me again for nesting 3 levels.
I could live with text/mime, because the mime format basically *is* text.

--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html