[Python-Dev] Great Renaming? What is the goal?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:14:46 -0500 (EST)

  PF> That is even worse.  So not only the 'import' sections, which I
  PF> usually keep at the top of my modules, have to be changed: This
  PF> way for example 're.compile(...' has to be changed into
  PF> 'text.re.compile(...' all over the place possibly breaking the
  PF> 'Maximum Line Length' styleguide rule.

There is nothing wrong with changing only the import statement:
    from text import re

The only problematic use of from ... import ... is
    from text.re import *
which adds an unspecified set of names to the current namespace.

Jeremy