[Python-Dev] Windows and PyObject_NEW

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:52:53 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Gordon McMillan wrote:
> I doubt very much that you would break anybody's code by
> removing the Windows specific behavior.
>
> But it seems to me that unless Python always uses the
> default malloc, those of us who write C++ extensions will have
> to override operator new? I'm not sure. I've used placement
> new to allocate objects in a memory mapped file, but I've never
> tried to muck with the global memory policy of C++ program.

Actually, the big problem arises when you have debug vs. non-debug DLLs.
malloc() uses different heaps based on the debug setting. As a result, it
is a bad idea to call malloc() from a debug DLL and free() it from a
non-debug DLL.

If the allocation pattern is fixed, then things may be okay. IF.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/