[Python-Dev] module reorg (was: 1.6 job list)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy-home@cnri.reston.va.us
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 16:22:09 -0500 (EST)

  MH> [Greg writes]
  >> I'm not even going to attempt to try to define a hierarchy for
  >> all those modules. I count 137 on my local system.  Let's say
  >> that I *do* try... some are going to end up "forced" rather than
  >> obeying some obvious grouping. If you do it a chunk at a time,
  >> then you get the obvious, intuitive groupings. Try for more, and
  >> you just bung it all up.

  MH> I agree with Greg - every module will not fit into a package.

Sure.  No one is arguing with that :-).

Where I disagree with Greg, is that we shouldn't approach this
piecemeal.  A greedy algorithm can lead to a locally optimal solution
that isn't the right for the whole library.  A name or grouping might
make sense on its own, but isn't sufficiently clear when taking all
137 odd modules into account.

  MH> But I also agree with Guido - we _should_ attempt to go through
  MH> the 137 modules and put the ones that fit into logical
  MH> groupings.  Greg is probably correct with his selection for
  MH> "net", but a general evaluation is still a good thing.  A view
  MH> of the bigger picture will help to quell debates over the
  MH> structure, and only leave us with the squabbles over the exact
  MH> spelling :-)

x1.5 on this. I'm not sure which direction you ended up thinking this
was (+ or -), but which ever direction it was I like it.

Jeremy