[Python-Dev] Unicode charnames impl.

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:58:56 -0500 (EST)

Christian Tismer writes:
>This is simply not the place to use a dictionary.
>You don't need fast lookup from names to codes,
>but something that supports incremental search.
>This would enable PythonWin to sho a pop-up list after
>you typed the first letters.

Hmm... one could argue that PythonWin or IDLE should provide their own
database for incremental searching; I was planning on following Bill
Tutt's suggestion of generating a perfect minimal hash for the names.
gperf isn't up to the job, but I found an algorithm that should be OK.
Just got to implement it now...  But, if your approach pays off it'll
be superior to a perfect hash.

>Is there any reason why you didn't use the UnicodeData.txt file,
>I mean do I cover everything if I continue to use that?

Oops; I saw the NameList file and just went for it; maybe it should
use the full UnicodeData.txt.

--amk