[Python-Dev] Memory Management

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:10:32 -0500

> We're working on integrating our own memory manager into our project
> and the current challenge is figuring out how to make it play nice
> with Python (and SWIG).  The approach we're currently taking is to
> patch 1.5.2 and augment the PyMem* macros to call external memory
> allocation functions that we provide.  The idea is to easily allow
> the addition of third party memory management facilities to Python.
> Assuming 1) we get it working :-), and 2) we sync to the latest Python
> CVS and patch that, would this be a useful patch to give back to the
> community?  Has anyone run up against this before?

Check out the archives for patches@python.org looking for posts by
Vladimir Marangozov.  Vladimir has produced several rounds of patches
with a very similar goal in mind.  We're still working out some
details -- but it shouldn't be too long, and I hope that his patches
are also suitable for you.  If not, discussion is required!