[Python-Dev] Heads up: socket.connect() breakage ahead

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:10:41 -0500 (EST)

bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us writes:
 > I know, I was being purposefully dense for effect :)  Fred, is there
 > some way to make the html contain a link to the previous section for
 > the "see above" text?  That would solve the problem I think.

  No.  I expect this to no longer be a problem when we push to
SGML/XML, so I won't waste any time hacking around it.
  On the other hand, lots of places in the documentation refer to
"above" and "below" in the traditional sense used in paper documents,
and that doesn't work well for hypertext, even in the strongly
traditional book-derivation way the Python manuals are done.  As soon
as it's not in the same HTML file, "above" and "below" break for a lot
of people.  So it still should be adjusted at an appropriate time.

 > Hmm, that /does/ complicate things -- it makes explaining the API more
 > difficult.  Still, in this case I think I'd lean toward liberal
 > acceptance of input parameters. :)

  No -- all the more reason to be strict and keep the descriptions as
simple as reasonable.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>