[Python-Dev] Heads up: socket.connect() breakage ahead

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:32:39 -0500 (EST)

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
 > I don't agree that socket.connect() and friends need this fix.  Yes,
 > obviously append() needed fixing because of the application of Tim's
 > Twelfth Enlightenment to the semantic ambiguity.  But socket.connect()
 > has no such ambiguity; you may spell it differently, but you know
 > exactly what you mean.

  Crock.  The address representations have been fairly well defined
for quite a while.  Be explicit.

 > sock.connect(addr)

  This is the only legal signature.  (host, port) is simply the form
of addr for a particular address family.

 > One nit on the documentation of the socket module.  The second entry
 > says:
 >
 >     bind (address)
 > 	 Bind the socket to address. The socket must not already be
 > 	 bound. (The format of address depends on the address family --
 > 	 see above.)
 >
 > Huh?  What "above" part should I see?  Note that I'm reading this doc
 > off the web!

  Definately written for the paper document!  Remind me about this
again in a month and I'll fix it, but I don't want to play games with
this little stuff until the 1.5.2p2 and 1.6 trees have been merged.
  Harrumph.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>