[Python-Dev] 1.6 job list

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:29:44 -0500

> We don't add it to the path. Instead, we create new modules that look
> like:
>
> ---- httplib.py ----
> from web.httplib import *
> ----
>
> The only backwards-compat issue with this approach is that people who poke
> values into the module will have problems. I don't believe that any of the
> modules were designed for that, anyhow, so it would seem an acceptable to
> (effectively) disallow that behavior.

OK, that's reasonable.  I'll have to invent a different reason why I
don't want this -- because I really don't!

> > Plus, it's too much work -- I'd rather focus on getting 1.6 out of the
> > door, and there's a lot of other stuff I need to do besides moving
> > modules around.
>
> Stuff that *you* need to do, sure. But there *are* a lot of us who can
> help here, and some who desire to spend their time moving modules.

Hm.  Moving modules requires painful and arcane CVS manipulations that
can only be done by the few of us here at CNRI -- and I'm the only one
left who's full time on Python.  I'm still not convinced that it's a
good plan.