[Python-Dev] Unicode and Windows

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:50:43 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Greg Stein writes:
>  > There is precedent for passing in single-ref pointers. For example:
>  >
>  >   PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "O!", &s, PyString_Type)
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>   Feeling ok?  I *suspect* these are reversed.  :)

I just checked the code to ensure that it took a single pointer rather
than a double-pointer. I guess that I didn't verify the order :-)

Concept is valid, tho... the params do not necessarily require an
ampersand.

oop! Actually... this does require an ampersand:

    PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "O!", &PyString_Type, &s)

Don't want to pass the whole structure...

Well, regardless: I would much prefer to see the encoding passed as a
constant string, rather than having to shove the sucker into a variable
first, just so that I can insert a useless address-of operator.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/