[Python-Dev] 1.6 job list

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:11:37 -0500

Daniel Berlin+list.python-dev <dan@cgsoftware.com>:
> > Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org>:
> > >      * Drop cursesmodule and package it separately. (Any other obsolete
> > >        modules that should go?)
> >
> > Annoyingly enough, I may need this to stay in, for use by the new Linux-kernel
> > configuration system I'm writing.  Why is it on the hit list?
>
> IIRC, it's because nobody really maintains it, and those that care
> about it, use a different one (either ncurses module, or a newer cursesmodule).
> So from what i understand, you get complaints, but no real advantage
> to having it there.

OK.  Then what I guess I'd like is for a maintained equivalent of this
to join the core -- the ncurses module you referred to, for choice.

I'm not being random.  I'm trying to replace the mess that currently
constitutes the kbuild system -- but I'll need to support an equivalent
of menuconfig.
--

"The state calls its own violence `law', but that of the individual `crime'"
	-- Max Stirner