[Python-Dev] None as a keyword / class methods

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:06:33 -0500 (EST)

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
>    PF> I wonder, how much existinng code the None --> keyword change
>    PF> would brake.
>Me too.

I can't conceive of anyone using None as a function name or a variable
name, except through a bug or thinking that 'None, useful, None =
1,2,3' works.  Even though None isn't a fixed constant, it might as
well be.  How much C code have you see lately that starts with int
function(void *NULL) ?

Being able to do "None = 2" also smacks a bit of those legendary
Fortran compilers that let you accidentally change 2 into 4.  +1 on
this change for Py3K, and I doubt it would cause breakage even if
introduced into 1.x.

    Principally I played pedants, idiots, old fathers, and drunkards.
    As you see, I had a narrow escape from becoming a professor.
    -- Robertson Davies, "Shakespeare over the Port"