[Python-Dev] None as a keyword / class methods

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:47:55 -0800

gvwilson@nevex.com wrote:

> [The following passed the Ping test, so I'm posting it here]
>
> If None becomes a keyword, I would like to ask whether it could be used to
> signal that a method is a class method, as opposed to an instance method:

+1

Idea is good, but I'm not really happy with any of the the proposed
terminology...Python doesn't really have static anything.

I would vote at the same time to make self a keyword and signal if the
first argument is not one of None or self. Even now, one of my most
common Python mistakes is in forgetting self. I expect it happens to
anyone who shifts between other languages and Python.

Why does None have an upper case "N"? Maybe the keyword version should
be lower-case...

"I and my companions suffer from a disease of the heart that can only
be cured with gold", Hernan Cortes